These pages will seem familiar if you’ve read the blog posts on Module 3 but I’ve revisited the pages to add extra bits and pieces that seemed relevant and would make my sketchbook more interesting.
The extra long feather on the right was a print I made quite a long time ago. It’s one of several made at the same time and it seemed a pity to have them lying around lost and forlorn when they suited my current feather theme. I’ve attached this one at the top edge with glue.The rest of the print is free to flap up and down.
Because the print was much longer than the page it needed to fold half way up to make it fit into the book. The back of the paper looked very white so I rubbed some black oil pastel around the edges and then painted it with orange and brown watercolour before printing the white feathers with acrylic paint and compressed sponge. The lettering was stamped using wooden alphabet blocks and an ink pad.
Once you’ve made a print block from the sponge the temptation is to use it over and over again! Here the two feathers on the right have been printed direct to the page. The other three were printed on separate pieces of paper when my book was too wet to work into! Once they were dry I cut them out and collaged them down with gel medium. I enjoyed printing on a range of different papers and my favourite print was on a photocopy of one of my sketchbook pages. The colours from the copy add to the colour of the sponge print even though much of the underlying image is covered – I’ll be coming back to that technique because I think it has a lot of potential.The dark and moody feather print that lies horizontally across the page has been attached with a strip of double sided tape on a narrow fold I made at the base of the print. The whole thing can open out to the left as the fold acts as a hinge.
Here’s the same page with the print folded half way back to fit neatly at the central spine of the book. I’ve used the same wooden blocks to add text on the back of the print to create pattern as much as meaning. I’m liking how the stark black and white contrasts with the very colourful background of the page. The paints in the art kit palette are really intense colours which is exactly what I want at times but I’ve added lots of water to the orange and brown in places so I get variation of hue and value across the open spread. I also rubbed a little oil pastel to the page edges before I painted them – I think that’s a great way to achieve a bit of visual texture on what might otherwise be flat and boring.
This module is where I can bring together everything I’ve tried during the course so far. Very excited to find out some soft pastels and move onto lots of stencilling next!